It has taken many years, but I think I am finally starting to grasp
the correlation between the food I eat and the way I feel. For the past 25
years of yo-yo dieting, I have heard it said over and over. What you put in
your mouth will have a direct impact on how you will feel. Let's just say
that I heard it but I wasn't listening. Prior to losing weight I would eat so
much crap. I would blame my sluggishness and lack of motivation on everything
else. It couldn't have anything to do with the food! About halfway to the day I
would always hit a wall. Hard. Like I would want to use toothpicks to keep my
eyes open for the rest of the day. Those were also the days I would go home
after work and take a nap. Obviously that would leave no time for working out
even if I did want to (and trust me, working out was the farthest thing from my
mind back them. It was more like…what time should I be at the bar?)
For the past six months I
have been trying to maintain an awareness of how my body feels in relation to
what I eat. This started when I decided to do the 10 day Advocare cleanse last
summer. It was the first cleanse I had come across where I wouldn't have to
start myself or just drink juice all day. If you know me at all, you know I
love food and wouldn't give up eating for anything. About halfway through the
cleanse I started to feel good. Like really good! As each day went on I felt better
and better and experienced more energy than I had in a long time. During the
cleanse I ate, and I ate a lot. Probably more than usual, but it was clean
eating. I could not have wheat, dairy, sugar, alcohol or coffee. Coffee was
definitely the hardest for me but it was only a few days and I didn't miss it
anymore. Ok, that’s a lie. Starbucks called my name every time I drove by. And
living in LA, there’s pretty much a Starbucks on every other corner! Don't get me wrong, I am back to my everyday
coffee!
Getting ready for the 10 day cleanse was a little work. I had to sit
and meal plan and prep for the 10 days. The couple of hours it took was
definitely worth it. I didn't even have to think for the rest of the week. I
did lose 5 pounds on the cleanse which was awesome! Most importantly, I learned
the value of feeding my body with nourishing food. And more importantly than
that, it clicked. Finally! No I'm not saying that I am eating clean or being
perfect every day but when I'm not I know exactly what to blame it on when I
hit my wall. And now...I've ordered the 24 day Advocare cleanse. I'm a bit nervous, but also really excited because even though I know that it will be hard, I think the way I feel will outweigh the struggles to get through each and every decision.
That's quite a challenge but I'll be rooting for you!
ReplyDelete